The US President Donald Trump’s “gold card” visa, which allows foreigners to pay at least $1 million to live and work in the United States, has so far been approved for just one applicant, according to Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick. After the program launched in December, Lutnick said the government sold $1.3 billion “worth” of gold cards within days. At a congressional committee hearing on Thursday, he did not address the gap between that claim and the single approval. Trump had earlier described the programme as “essentially the green card on steroids”, presenting it as a fast-track route for wealthy migrants. Though only one application has been cleared, Lutnick told lawmakers that more are being processed. The program is being pitched as a replacement for the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program. Each applicant is required to pay a $15,000 processing fee, in addition to the $1 million contribution. Companies are also allowed to sponsor foreign-born employees by paying $2 million, along with a 1% annual maintenance fee. The official website presents the programme with the slogan “Unlock life in America”. Immigration lawyers say the program does not create a new pathway or reduce waiting times. Applicants would be required to pay a non-refundable $1 million to the US Treasury, along with roughly $15,000 in additional fees. Lawyers also point to compliance checks and legal risks for applicants.
📝 Sobre este conteúdo
Esta matéria foi adaptada e reescrita pela equipe editorial do TudoAquiUSA
com base em reportagem publicada em
Business-standard
. O texto foi modificado para melhor atender nosso público, mantendo a precisão
factual.
Veja o artigo original aqui.
0 Comentários
Entre para comentar
Use sua conta Google para participar da discussão.
Política de Privacidade
Carregando comentários...
Escolha seus interesses
Receba notificações personalizadas